Personal injuries

Personal injuries on the job

If you’re hurt on the job, you are covered by the Workers' Compensation Board (WorkSafe BC). WorkSafe BC provides financial assistance to employees who are injured in the course of their regular work duties.

If your injury results in permanent disability, WorkSafe BC will provide you with a pension. Should your ailment lead to your death, WorkSafe BC will cover your funeral expenses and pay benefits to your dependants.

Ask your employer or contact WorkSafe BC for more information.

Personal injuries off the job

You even may be able to receive a portion of your regular income if you are injured away from work. Provided you have worked for a certain period of time before your injury, you could get a percentage of your weekly wages for a period of time through Employment Insurance sickness benefits.

You'll need to apply for benefits as soon after your last day of work as possible. You will need your Record of Employment stating how long you worked for your last employer(s) and how much you were earning. And you’ll need a medical statement from your doctor stating that you're unable to work and how long your injury is expected to keep you out of the workforce.

There are a lot of technicalities and stipulations to collecting sickness benefits. But it's easy to obtain all of the information you need from Human Resources and Skills Development Canada.