Squamish About Us
Yesterday and today
Formed in 1944, Squamish Savings has been a fixture in the community for 65 years. In fact, we were the first financial institution in town. It all began when, together, our founders were able to pool a staggering total of $73.50 – and, so it was, we were in business. Ensuing years saw the growth and evolution of an organization that was clearly here for the long haul. And after a 2005 merger, Squamish Savings became a proud division of Vancity.
Today Squamish Savings is located at Chieftain Centre where full financial services are offered to members. Squamish savings also operates a motor vehicle office through two insurance agencies. The insurance agencies are located at Garibaldi Highlands and Chieftain Centre.
About us, at-a-glance
In addition to our passionate commitment to , here is some top-level information that will help you get to know more about us:
- As part of the Vancity Group, our members have access to a network of Vancity branch locations.
- Our teams of financial and insurance professionals are directed by a locally-elected Partner Board of Directors.
- Yup, our Payment Card is absolutely accepted surcharge-free at Exchange ATMs – one of the largest banking machine networks in Canada.
- We have Internet and telephone banking services that provide 24/7 access to your accounts.
- Both Squamish Savings and Vancity are represented provincially through our membership in Central 1, and are regulated by the Financial Institution Commission.
- As a Squamish Savings member, your deposits carry unlimited deposit insurance protection. In fact, all money on deposit and money invested in non-equity shares with any BC credit union — including Vancity — is 100% guaranteed. However, credit union equity shares and investments such as mutual funds or RRSP equity plans are not covered by deposit insurance.
- You can be reassured that, amidst a world of change, we are committed to conducting business with integrity, innovation, and responsibility as outlined in the Vancity Group’s Statement of Values and Commitments.